Saturday, May 23, 2009

Taken from Wesabe: Frugal Foodies

The Best Beef Ever

Last year, a friend & I went in on a quarter of a cow with a local farmer. I finally got to pick it up at the end of November this year and wanted to share.

I have to recommend this – we ended up spending around $500 total, and got 110lbs of grass-fed, free-range, antibiotic & hormone-free, humanely raised & butchered local beef. It was portioned out by the butcher to be compatible with our 2-person households, and just barely fit in our standard freezers.

By this point, we’ve both tried it and I have to say it’s the best tasting beef I’ve ever had in my life. I’m signing up again this year, and swearing off anything but. If you can find someone who does this in your area, I strongly recommend it – just under $5/lb for some of the best beef you’ll ever eat is an amazing bargain.

Not to mention the ecological & ethical bonuses – keeping money in the local economy, voting with my dollar for hormone/antibiotic free meat, and giving cows a chance to eat grass rather than supporting grain-producing agribusiness… I found my farmer through the local newspaper, but www.eatwild.com has a searchable database of producers.


While I have heard about this I have never tried this...have you? What are your thoughts? Sounds good. RD

No comments: